Friday, February 11, 2011

Another Acronym

Just wanted to let everyone know that the psychologist told us that Brady has ADHD. Not a huge surprise, but having a professional say it really brings it home.  I'm glad she's not seeing any other issues, though. So, now I'm doing all my research on our next steps. I guess I'll be calling the pediatrician today after giving it some time to sink in. Looks like we're going to be trying some medication. I've read lots of articles about how much it can help, but I'm still scared. Hoping that we'll be able to find the right one for him very quickly.

Oh, and the psychologist, who works in the same office as the OTs, said that SPD isn't a real thing. I kind of expected that, but it still made me mad. I kept my mouth shut, though. Told our OT about it the next day and she was surprised. I told her that I haven't read anywhere in the ADHD research that says that these kids like to smell everything, freak out at loud unexpected noises, or have to touch everything, crash into walls on purpose, etc. Ugh. I feel okay with the ADHD diagnosis, though, since we feel like we have a decent handle on the sensory issues through OT and a sensory diet, but he's still having huge problems with focusing on needed tasks and still gets out of control hyper at times.

So, if anyone has any words of wisdom dealing with an SPD/ADHD kid, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment